Saturday 21 April 2007

Fame at last

Thought I'd post the entire text of the BT newspaper story. It's also (currently - April 2007) available here, although unfortunately they haven't put the photos on the website. I'll get these if I can.


Fun run entrant number 78 is a dog called Ozzie

Monday, April 16, 2007
By Ashleigh Wallace

A Bangor man who participated in this weekend's Titanic Quarter 10k run in Belfast has revealed how he has been upstaged - by his pet dog Ozzie!

Clive Maguire (48) registered his four-year old mini schnauzer in yesterday's race and was even given a special dog-sized entrant's number which was tucked into Ozzie's collar.

The pair completed the course, which began and ended at the Odyssey, in an hour and nine minutes - with Ozzie over the finish line just ahead of his owner.

Clive said: "I did the Omagh fun run while my wife was away and I didn't know what to do with Ozzie so I decided to take him with me.

"When we crossed the finishing line nobody gave a stuff about me, all they were interested in was the dog. They even gave him my medal!

"I do the runs in aid of Clic Sargent which raises money for children with cancer so I thought that if people were interested in Ozzie, it might help raise more funds."

Before competing in yesterday's race, Clive took Ozzie to the vet where he was given a clean bill of health.
He has accompanied Clive on his training sessions along Bangor's coastal paths. To stave off doggie dehydration, Clive has a collapsible bowl which he fills up with water at the half way stage for his four-legged friend.

He added: "When I emailed the Northern Ireland Athletics Federation about entering Ozzie in the run, they gave me a small number for him, number 78, which I tucked into his collar."

No comments: