Monday 14 May 2007

“I had to run to catch the train…”

Running partner Rabea and I had a good run from Crawfordsburn to Holywood recently. This was a total of 6 miles, but only after we’d run up and down the high street a bit to make it up from an intial total of around 5.6 miles. The time was 1hr 9 mins, which isn’t exactly stunning, but it’s in keeping with our (well my) normal rate of 11 mins+ per mile.

Although initially we thought the locals had come out to cheer us, it transpired we had arrived in the middle of some event or other (well it was the May bank holiday), and the roads were all closed. It was a bit odd dodging through the assembled hordes (several times, to make up the mileage), but I think we got away with it. Then after grabbing a drink and a bar of chocolate at the local Mace, we ran down to the station and got there just in time to catch the train back to Bangor. Timing, or what?

Following this success, we’ve agreed to try Bangor to Holywood on Monday 14th May, which we reckon is around 8.5 miles, making it the longest run we will have done to date. Exciting stuff, huh?

My wee feet are still knackered, and my right knee’s giving me jip, but the end is in sight – only 2 more weeks ‘til the Mull of Kintyre half marathon!

No comments: